Computing Learning - week 1
This week we are learning to give simple instructions to control a device. One of the activities is giving instructions to a small robot called 'Bee-bots'. As our real Bee-bots are at school, we are going to practise using Bee-bots on an app which you can download following the links below or type Bee-bots into the app store (apple devices) or GooglePlay (android devices).
For iphones, ipads and macs - https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/bee-bot/id500131639
For androids - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tts.beebot&hl=en
What your child will know by the end of their learning:
I will be able to instruct a robot to make simple moves - forwards, backwards, left, right.
Special vocabulary: Instructions, forwards, backwards, left turn, right turn, sequence
- Direction card
- Bee-Bot app
- Robot mats
- Small object for robot mats.
Activity 1: learning directions
- Look at the direction card. Can you move in these different directions? Can you get a toy and move the toy in different directions?
- Adult calls out different directions and the child(ren) move one step in that direction.
Activity 2: Robot mats
- Using the robot mat templates below, begin on start/landmark and get your child to finish on different places on the mat using the correct directions. For example, to get from start to the treasure chest it could be - right, right, right, forward, forward, forward.
- Use a small object/toy so your child can physically move the object along.
- Get them to write down their set of instructions using arrows. ➡️➡️➡️⬆️⬆️⬆️GO
- Do as many as you think is needed. 3-5 different instructions is a good goal.
Activity 3: Putting your learning into practise on the Bee-bot app.
- Download the Bee-bot app using the instructions above.
- Click on start and choose 'Garden'.
- Do levels 1-6. Remember to choose your instructions in the correct order and then click GO so your Bee-bot moves to its final space.
Have fun! 😄