At Gladstone Park School we strive for children to be a ‘Primary Literate Pupil’. We aim to develop pupils’ abilities within an integrated programme of speaking and listening, reading and writing.
Pupils are given opportunities to interrelate the requirements of English within a broad and balanced approach to the teaching of English across the curriculum, with opportunities to consolidate and reinforce taught literacy skills.
By the age of 11 we aim for a child to be able to:
- Read and write with confidence, fluency and understanding, orchestrating a range of independent strategies to self-monitor and correct.
- Have an interest in books and read for enjoyment
- Have an interest in words, their meanings, developing a growing vocabulary in spoken and written forms.
- Understand a range of text types and genres – be able to write in a variety of styles and forms appropriate to the situation.
- Be developing the powers of imagination, inventiveness, and critical awareness.
- Have a suitable technical vocabulary to articulate their responses.